Week 23 – 20/03/17

This Monday our group presented our finished film for the cross collaboration project. I was happy generally with the feedback – lots of people suggested that the video might say something about the angora fur industry because of the apparent brutality we treated the rabbit with and the fact the fur was quite objectified. Watching other people’s films, I think we definitely could have been more involved with the project and again, make something more substantial if we’d have had more time, because of people’s commitments we could only utilise 2 of the days in the week. Maybe this comes down to us though and our use of time.

This is our finished film: RABBIT (Collaboration)

Also this week I took part in another life drawing session, again using paint but this time with acrylic. I really  liked the  way this painting turned out. I was focusing more on tone than colour really but I think this works really well. The study was from a 30 minute  pose,  so I think now having done this I might look at painting some portraits from life rather than 2d images to try and make the subjects  in my works a bit more lifelike and animated.

edf

I also spent a bit of time this week playing around with my video footage and my projector. I made two 4 minute videos from the original footage, where the vocalisations of people in the film and the television itself can be heard. In the second video I layered up multiple clips and distorted the audio so that it becomes pretty much unintelligible, but you can still pick out phrases and melodies. As a piece on its own, I think these edits are sort of successful, however I don’t think they’re that sustained and don’t have too much thought behind them other than their visual quality and the possibility of displaying them alongside my paintings. I think in the future I want to develop them more so that they communicate something on their own. I think as videos there is a danger that they become quite  trivial or become more about the domestic/student setting than the viewer/subject relationship.

The original edit can be seen here, and the distorted version here. I named one of the videos ‘we are the watchers’; which is a play on the phrase from the show Game Of Thrones: “We are the watchers on the wall.” I think it’s quite effective at outlining the themes in the video while also relating to appropriated media, although again I don’t want the films to seem too much about an aesthetic or focus too much on my life as a student.

mde

I managed to briefly set up my projector in one of the project spaces and experimented projecting the footage onto the walls, into corners and over the top of one of my original paintings. I got some quite nice footage doing this although it was quite difficult to capture both the painting and video because of the light levels. I think although projecting onto my paintings has been kind of an end goal for me, I wasn’t 100% happy with how it looked. It was quite confusing and the static image wasn’t that effective under the image. I might start thinking about projecting next to my paintings and how practically this would work.

Towards the end I also played about with placing myself in front of the projection to add to the idea of layering and the blurred boundaries between the world behind and in front of the screen. I think this is quite interesting however as a video it was maybe a little bit irrelevant/confusing. The edit can be seen here, although I’m not 100% happy yet and plan on maybe editing the film in a different style.

Advertisements