This week I’ve been working more into my paintings and keeping up to date with the editorial board meetings and correspondence. I’m also getting quite conscious of time and of planning a work for the degree show.
This is the progress I’ve made on the larger painting this week. I had a tutorial with a new tutor and she suggested working with larger brushes, so that the looseness that comes across in my smaller paintings is evident in the larger ones.
I’m trying not to over-work it, but at the same time I want the same level of depth in the image I’m working on. We also had a discussion in the tutorial about the nature of photography and using photography that is quite incidental/unimpressive as a base for an image. She mentioned the idea of culture as well – in the last unit where a lot of my research was on realism and representing a specific time and place – I’m interested in how I can capture a representation of a segment of society or cultural group.
I’ve moved on from this smaller painting now – as I really like the looseness and colour – I’m happy to leave it as it is if it means not overworking the image.
I’ve also tried to start taking photos of TV watching again – in my feedback tutorial last week I was told that the paintings were really successful and connected strongly to my written work. I think now that I’ve had time away from these works, I will be able to come back to them with fresh eyes and make something more successful out of them.
I’ve also been corresponding with the editorial board again this week, now trying to contact contributors and gather texts that can be published. As well as this, I’ve been transcribing the recording of the curation and editorial board, with the intention of writing something about it/using it in the publication. This took up quite a lot of time so I think in future, it would be better to have a specific outcome in mind – eg. only transcribe the meeting if there was a definite use for it as an interview piece or review. I think it’s still a useful piece of test to have recorded, so regardless if it gets published, it will be good for the group to have on record.
I hope that next week I will have more free time to start more paintings and reach some sort of resolution with the large one I’ve started. I think next time I work on canvas like this it will be helpful to have some sort of seam allowance so that if I choose to, I can put it on a stretcher.